Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sewing Tools We Love

My Necessary Items:

Tape Measure: the only way to get measurement around curves, and I use mine all the time for lots of things!

Marking Utensil: you can use pencil, chalk, marker, disappearing ink, but you need one!

Scissors: You have to have good scissors that are only for fabric. Don’t use them on anything else, especially paper! I love my Gingher scissors I got in college

Cutting Board: this may not be on your list, but if you make anything that you need straight seams for (quilts, pillows, curtains), you want one of these! I use it all the time!

Rotary Cutter: I have an Olfa brand of these, and I love it. It’s what I inherited from my mom. You need a rotary cutter, board and ruler for cutting straight lines.

Clear Ruler: This is a definite must if you have a rotary board/cutter. Get one at least 5” wide, and as long as your cutting board

Pins: There’s so many types, pick whatever, but make sure they are sharp. When they get bent, throw them away because they might cause a snag in your fabric

Hand Needles: There’s always something that needs to be sewn by hand, so have a variety of needles to get the right one

Extra Machine Needles: There is nothing more frustrating than sewing late in the night, only to break a needle and not have anymore! Have a few on hand, usually Universal will be just fine, but if you sew heavy fabrics, have a couple denim and heavy fabric needles too

My Nice to Have Items:

Little Scissors: I don’t have this particular ones, but you should have good scissors just for fabric. I clip threads as I’m going, and use them to unpick seams, instead of a seam ripper

Seam Gauge: These are so nice to have, to make sure when you iron, sew, stitch, whatever, your seam is the same width everywhere

Safety Pins: Really nice to use when pinning little kids clothes, or clothes that you have to take off, since they won’t jab you

Nice, But not Necessary:

Seam Ripper: can be used to fix mess ups, but I tend to like my little scissors better

I’ll add more as I think of them, but this is a pretty good list! Now, do you need someplace to put these to keep them organized? Try this holder

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...