Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pillowcase Style Ruffle Dress

…made from a tee shirt…

How about some sewing?  I {heart} sewing. 

And clothing refashion.

And chocolate.

ruffle dress text 2

How cute is this?

It was so fun to make.  I made it for my friend’s daughter, and I made it out of her daddy’s tee shirt.

P1050520

Yeah.  My lighting was awful.  It was late at night when I made this.  Forgive me.  Anyway, cut the top of the shirt off like you see it in the picture,

P1050521

Fold the top of it down and pin it into place.  Leave the raw edge on the outside.  Sew it close to the edge.  This is going to create a casing for the ribbon and straps.

P1050524

Do the same thing to the other side. 

P1050525

Remember this lovely roll of knit ribbing I got from my MIL, The Queen?  I’m using more of this fabulous stuff for this dress.  If you don’t have a roll of knit ribbing, just use several 1” strips of knit fabric.  You could even cut up a tee shirt in a circular pattern to get one very long strip of fabric.

P1050526

Starting at the bottom, sew the knit strips to the shirt.

P1050536

Keep going until you have this:

P1050539

Now sew some ribbon to the waistband of the dress. 

P1050540

Sew it along the top and bottom of the ribbon so that you have a casing for your elastic.  Leave a small opening somewhere so you can thread your elastic into the casing.

Oops.  I don’t have a picture of that.  Shame on me.  Just pretend this ribbon is elastic in the picture below, and that the casing below is the ribbon casing you just made, savvy?!

P1050546

Now thread some ribbon through the casing you made at the top of the dress.  (refer to the above picture!  ;))  Thread the same piece of ribbon through the front and back casings.  Sew the ribbon ends together so that your dress has straps and now looks like this on top:

P1050553

See that top casing and the scrunched up waistband?  That is what I was trying (and probably failing) to explain above.

Now take the top casings and bunch and scrunch them so that you have a gathered neckline.  Sew them into place.

P1050552

Isn’t that a fun dress for Summer?  Oh, goodness, and it looks so cute on a toddler!

P1050548

Isn’t that precious? 

I should show you who is really wearing that dress.  Hint:  it isn’t my friend’s little gal!

I shouldn’t show you.

Someone might turn me in.

Hubby might not be too happy.

Oh, but it’s so funny!  I have to share!

P1050551

Ha ha ha!

Monkey does NOT like wearing girl clothes!  :)

signature nat

Pin It!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...