Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hairbow Holder

I don’t have any girlies or a need for hair bows in my life, but when a friend asked me if I had any ideas on ways to store her little gal’s hair bows, I was excited to help.  Sometimes it’s fun to feel like a girl!

Oh, this friend of mine.  She is so fun.  In fact, Crocky once said “I’m going to marry her little girl just so that Alison can be my Mother-In-Law!”  Now that’s planning ahead!  :)

hairbow text

This little baby was pretty easy to make.  For this project you’ll need:

  • 1 poster frame
  • 1 yard of fabric for the backing
  • 1 yard of fabric for the frame cut into 3” strips
  • 1 yard of chicken wire
  • mod podge and foam brushes
  • hot glue gun and hot glue
  • duct tape
  • spray adhesive--optional

hairbow holder tutorial (2)

We’re going to start with the frame.  If you want to mod podge fabric onto the frame to change the color, follow these next few steps.  If not, then skip them.  I’m cool with whatever you want to do!  :)

hairbow holder tutorial (5)

Press one edge of the strips over 1/3”.  This is going to make it so that you don’t have any raw edges visible on the back of the frame.  This step is also optional.  I just don’t like raw edges.  Ewww.

hairbow holder tutorial (6)

Place the strips of fabric under the frame.

hairbow holder tutorial (9)

Hot glue the pressed edge on the outer side of the frame.

hairbow holder tutorial (15)

Now hot glue the raw edge to the inside edge of the frame.

Corners can be tricky.  Trim the edge of the corner that has been glued down.

hairbow holder tutorial (24)

Take the other strip and fold the edge in so the exposed part of the corner won’t have a raw edge.

hairbow holder tutorial (22)

Fold it up, glue it down and be sure to cover up any globs of glue and raw edges.

hairbow holder tutorial (23)

See?  Purdy!  Now, fold the rest of the fabric over and cover the next side of the frame the same way you did before.  Do this until the frame is completely covered with fabric.

hairbow holder tutorial (28)

Mod Podge the fabric to the frame.  Be generous.  It will dry clear.

hairbow holder tutorial (29)

Now take the cardboard back to the frame and use spray adhesive to attach your 1 yard of fabric to the cardboard.

hairbow holder tutorial (30)

Smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles.

hairbow holder tutorial (31)

Trim off the excess fabric.

hairbow holder tutorial (32)

Mod Podge the fabric to the cardboard.  Again, be generous.  It dries clear.

hairbow holder tutorial (33)

When it’s dry, place the chicken wire over the mod podged fabric and fold the edges of the chicken wire to the back side.

hairbow holder tutorial (38)

Duct tape the edges so the sharp parts of the wire are covered.

hairbow holder tutorial (39)

Put the board back into the frame, and you’re done.  Bam.

hairbow holder tutorial (44)

Just clip the hair bows directly onto the chicken wire.  For headbands, open a paperclip and hook it onto the chicken wire.  Pinch the end attached to the wire until it is closed.

paper clips

Loop the headband over the opened hook from the paperclip.

hairbow holder tutorial (50)

This is a fun and functional way to add some color and décor to an otherwise boring wall.

hairbow holder tutorial (52)

So cute!

Welp!  I’m outta here.  I’m having surgery on on my wrists on Thursday, so from now until June seventh, you’re getting scheduled posts.  I’m not going to have the use of my hands for a while.  Sadness.  I guess I’ll go put the covers on my sewing machine and serger.  I don’t want them to collect dust.  I am going to miss them.

I’m not sure how I am going to function over the next few weeks, but what do ya do?  Thankfully Ashlee has agreed to make my family and me dinner every.single.night for the next six weeks.  Just kidding.  She lives three hours away from me.  :)

See ya in a few weeks!

signature nat

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use the chicken wire!! I'm going to make one for my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...