Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summerize Your Winter Wardrobe

Last Thursday, I showed you how I turned one of Firecracker’s shirts into one for Monkey.  I also mentioned that Monkey has lots of hand-me-downs that are either too big or Winter clothes.
I’m a cheapskate and I didn’t want to waste these clothes and buy new ones for Monkey.  So, I just refashioned them into Summer clothes.  I did it all while he took a nap. and it didn’t cost me a dime!  Sweet!
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (3)
I turned seven pairs of pants into shorts, but I just grabbed two for these pictures.
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (1)
All I did was cut them off at the knees, serge the raw edges and hem them.  I did a tutorial on hemming.  Check it out here if you want to see it.  The thing I like best about these two pairs of shorts is that they are size 12 months.  Monkey is really skinny, and these shorts are a perfect fit for him.  When they were pants, they were way too short.
I’ve used this same method to turn some of my jeans into capris.  When I do this, I make the hem a bit longer and use matching thread so it looks better.  Like this:
71qOc7UqhjL._SL1280_
You could also cuff them if you don’t have matching thread.  Just serge or zig-zag the raw edge, roll the pantleg where you want it and sew it into place along the side seams like I did here:
81Dw1xmiefL._SY500_
Okay.  That isn’t me.  I didn’t get a decent picture of my cuffed capris because I am wearing them and I don’t want to take them off for a picture.  So, I stole this one from the internet.
I took ten long sleeved shirts and turned them into short sleeved shirts.
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (4)
This is just three of them.  See that one in the middle?  That was the long sleeved romper I refashioned in the basic hem tutorial.  That $1.00 shirt has definitely been used!  :)  Ha!  That green striped shirt is also used in that post!  Welp, now they’re both short sleeved.  This is how I did it:
Since I was in a hurry when I was refashioning Monkey’s wardrobe, I’ll show you what I did with one of my own shirts.  I got this bad boy off of the dollar rack.  Shocked?!  Me neither.
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (7)
Start with a long sleeved shirt.
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (8)
Measure the sleeve length with one of your own shirts.  Cut off the sleeve.
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (9)
Serge around the raw edges, or leave it raw.  Knit doesn’t fray.  Measure the hem and pin it into place.  Set the stitch length longer so that the fabric will still stretch.  I set mine at 3.1.  Stitch around the sleeve. 
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (14)
You can double stitch if you want.  I did, but it was just for looks. 
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (15)
Steam press the seams like crazy, and you’re done!  The picture above is in  bad lighting, but trust me, it’s the same shirt.
turn your winter wardrobe into a summer wardrobe (16)
That is how you Summerize your Winter Wardrobe!  :)
signature nat
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is amazing!!!
    You have done great job in here!!!
    We are so glad that we subscribed here...
    We hope that you follow us back...
    We are Johnny & Joanna
    Syros2J’s

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...