Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

These boots are made for walkin’

Okay, a few times I’ve made mention of a kind of dyeing project that was looking like a craft fail. Well, 2 months later, I’ve finally finished it. Smile hee hee. I kept hitting parts that I didn’t know how to make it work. I really should have titled this post: “What happens when the crazy idea in your head doesn’t take shape.” Yep, that sums it up. I’ll let the pictures do the talking.
Boots (2)
I have these boots. They are the same color as another pair I have that I like better, so they don’t get much love. So I had the crazy idea to change the color. Once upon a time, there were spray bottles you could buy to use fabric spray paint.  I know, I used them for Willy Wonka’s coat here:
Family Halloween 2009 (3)
I couldn’t find a purple coat, so I bought a trench coat at the thrift store and sprayed it with paint, since I couldn’t dye it (dry clean only *sigh*). Yeah, couldn’t find those spray bottles anywhere. Ask my sister in law. She was with me. Anyway, I bought some fabric paint at the craft store, but it wasn’t the color I wanted, so I tried mixing it with acrylic paint.
Boots (3)
It was metallic paint. Not what I wanted.
Boots (4)
But I gave it a whirl anyway.
Boots (5)
Wanna see how the boots looked for about 1 1/2 months?
Boots (1)
Boots (2)
Yeah, like Michael Jackson’s cast offs. Or maybe on Sleeping Beauty when the fairies are fighting “Make it blue” “make it pink”. I got annoyed and threw them in the garage. But every time I went out there, they were mocking me.
Boots (4)
So I bought some white fabric paint, and tried glazing over the silver to tone it down. Not so much. Sat in the garage like this for another 2 weeks. Then, I finally wised up and got some black fabric paint.Boots (3)
Now, what do we get when we mix black and white? That’s right, gray! The color I had been going for all along. I didn’t get a picture of the improvement, because after it dried, I went and sprayed with waterproofing boot spray to protect my paint job.
Boots (5)
Then I wore them to church when they were finally ready.
Boots (1)
They were a bit stiff the first time, and I noticed a few spot that needed to be touched up, but it mostly came to fulfill the crazy lady’s vision. Do you have any craft fails or non-vision conforming crafts, or am I just super OCD?
Finally, I have a confession. I LOVE St. Patrick’s Day. It’s one of my top 5 favorite holidays. Why? Probably because it’s so underappreciated. And silly. I mean, pinching someone over a color? Just plain silly, but I love it. Anyway, I haven’t decorated at all for it, because all of my decorations are in another state (but only for a few more weeks! Eek!!!) So I did just something simple yesterday with my girlies. Mind you, we are currently living at my mother’s, so it’s not like I have free reign, so I worked around her typical mantel décor (the cute little lanterns and the daisy swag) and just added some stuff for fun.
St. Patrick's Day (3)
We made a rainbow for preschool yesterday (I just do a little preschool with my daughters. Nothing special, but I use this site, and it’s awesome!). So fun, and my oldest thought it was “So beautiful!” I cut out some rosettes and letters with my mom’s Cricut and her ribbons and rosettes cartridge. It was hard for me to figure out, but I’m going to blame a long day, fussy girls, and impatience on my part. I’m sure it will work better for me next time. Here’s the rosettes:
St. Patrick's Day (5)
Anyway, just a little bit of fun. I have gold coins coming from Amazon today for preschool that I’ll throw in a jar up there too.
St. Patrick's Day (4)
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Love those boots. Just wondering how you prevent the paint from cracking? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

    You better be planning on sharing this over at The DIY Dreamer!! :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/2012/03/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-7.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...